Project Officer – Field & Locations Guide job at Birda
this position has been filled
- Project Officer – Field & Locations Guide
- 2+ years experience
- £22k pa+ DOE
- Work in conservation while still paying your bills
- Mostly remote – 1 day a fortnight in London (Kings Cross)
- Candidates must be resident in the UK
🦉 About Birda
Our purpose is to help people experience the natural world so that they’ll fight to protect it. We are building a birding app for anyone who is curious about the living world. Enabling people to record and share their birding experiences so that they can motivate themselves and others to spend more time outside.
We are building ‘Strava for Birdwatching’. Even in 2022, a birder’s main field tool is a notebook. We think we can do better than that. We are building an app that will enhance the humble notebook by adding GPS-enabled mapping, gamified challenges and social features too. Think ‘Pokemon Go’ in real life.
The team is currently made up of:
- 👨🏻💼 John – CEO and spreadsheet menace
- 👸🏻 Natalie – Design queen
- 👨🏻💻 Dom – CTO
- 💁♀️Silvia – UX/UI wiz
- 👨🏻🎤 Dave – Senior Software Engineer
- 🧔 Tim – Associate Software Engineer
- 👨🔬 Morgan – Associate Software Engineer
- 👩💻 Sarah – Community Engagement Manager
🔭 What we are looking for
- Curating the Birda field guide
- Documenting what different species images are required
- Sourcing required images, videos & bird calls for each species
- Curating the Birda locations database
- Documenting major birdwatching locations
- Sourcing images, videos, GIS data pertaining to birding locations
- Manage public participation in sourcing content for locations
- Assisting with taxonomy, species list & species distribution updates
- An experienced birder – LBJ’s and gulls are no problem to you
- You are meticulous and proud of it
- Solid understanding of taxonomy
- Spreadsheet pro with stacks of experience working with large datasets
- Keen photographer (ideally with a focus on birds)
- Experience with GIS system would be a plus
💵 / 💚 What we give in return
Purpose – Your life is too precious to spend it making something that doesn’t matter. Many of the greatest challenges that all humans will face both now and in the future will involve managing climate change. Encouraging an appreciation of the natural world is a small but vital part of rising to these challenges. We believe that getting people excited about the plants and animals that inhabit our planet will lead to people making different decisions about how they lead their lives.
Money – Of course, you can’t pay your rent / mortgage / deliveroo habit on good feelings so we’ll be paying a respectable salary. We won’t be able to compete with banks or large tech companies though, so our mission will need to matter to you.
Share options – We have an employee-friendly (gradual vesting, long exercise period) share options grant. If you stick with us, you’ll share in any success we achieve. It’s still very early days for us which means that the amount of equity on offer will be meaningful – it’s your baby too.
Flexible working – Work when you are productive. For Dom that’s 6.00 in the morning but he’s weird 🙄
Other stuff – There’s all the usual holiday (we’ll make you take it) and equipment stuff too. Although not every startup has loaner cameras 😉 (Bridge, DSLR & Mirrorless).
🦠 Post-pandemic working
We continue to all work remotely as we are spread all over the UK and chat over Slack and Google Meet. We’ve liked saving time, money and our carbon footprint by not travelling, but we’ve also really missed not hanging out together – both professionally and socially.
So we currently divide our time up into ‘doing’ and ‘collaborating’. Doing can be done wherever you choose, but collaborating should be done in person, somewhere quiet with whiteboards and coffee. Like an office. Right now that’s a day (Wednesday) a fortnight in London (Kings Cross).
👩🏽💼 Interview Process
👋🏻 Step 1 - Say hi to Birda
15-minute introduction with John White our Founder and CEO. Find out if you think it’s worth going through the hassle of the rest of the process…
🏠 Step 2 - Take home thing
💼 Step 3 - On-site interview
This will be at our office in Kings Cross, London. You’ll be speaking with Natalie / John, two of the co-founders and should allow for 1-2 hours. Don’t worry we’ll bring snacks!
There’ll be 3 sections:
- Talk about your experience/ambitions
- Chat through your ideas about how we can quickly and efficiently populate our field guides with quality content. This is for all of us to get an idea of what it’s like to work together.
- Your turn to interview us, ask us anything and don’t hold back. Have some concerns? Now’s the time to raise them. It’s a big decision and we want to take every opportunity to ensure it’s the right one for everybody.
🤔 Step 4 - Ask us anything
This is a follow-up call with some combination of Dom / Natalie / John. Any concerns or issues you want to be clarified – now’s the time. It’s a big decision for everyone and we want to take every opportunity to ensure it’s the right one for everybody.
Please email us a cover letter and your CV via the button below.